Thursday, December 18, 2008

fauna on Cliff Drive

I have had a request for a photo of the boys. According to the hunting pages, the fluffy feather on the breast is the trophy, and longer and fuller is most desirable. It is fall and they walk about in full glory in case a female shows up. The girls live on the next hill over and I have not seen them here this year. Presumably the ranges overlap.

Did you know there are multiple tortoise rescue organizations in CA, including one here in silicon valley? Well, there are, and today I mailed my application to adopt a rescue tortoise to join my 2 rescue Siamese. Hey, why not? If it eats too much in the garden I can fence it off. I think I need to do some work on my yard fences to 'tortoise proof' the yard and keep it inside, but that should not be so hard to do, and one supposes I can get some advice on this. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are indeed becoming one of these charming little old ladies who has scads of animals. I do know their very favorite garden food is strawberries. You will have to plant a strawberry plant or two just for him/her. If I had a turtle or a tortoise, I would name him Throckmorton.

elinorina said...

My goodness, I had no idea there was a nature preserve up your way! Turkeys! Wow... I used to have a flock (?) of turkey vultures nesting in the trees behind our house. Folks found it amusing that vultures would hang out by a lawyer's house. Humpf. But I do love the idea of adopting a tortoise. Can you teach it to do tricks? :-)

Laura said...

I watched something on TV about someone's garden and they had a tortoise in it....it had lived there for years........

The name Throckmorton is just wonderful....