Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Planting a spring garden? Remember the Monarchs

If you are putting in your garden, as I am doing, try to make a space for plants Monarch butterflies can use as waystations during their migration this year. My yard is already a Certified Wildlife Habitat, so it will only take a little work for me to get it certified as a Monarch Waystation.  Go here and learn what you can do as well  http://www.monarchwatch.org/waystations/.

This is the week the painted lady butterflies migrate.  I can sit in my yard and watch them flutter down the street and across my yard, headed north.  Once your eye starts to watch, you can see dozens of little moving spots, fluttering by.  Apparently there was so much rain in Southern California that there was a lot for the caterpillers to eat, and now there are a lot of butterflies.

No comments: