Thursday, March 31, 2011

another thing or two in the list of stuff not to buy

Although it doesn't accumulate in humans, it evidently does in fish, and as an endocrine disrupter.  I like to buy those antibacterial sprays for use in the kitchen.  Now that I am working on Salmonella typing, I am more aware than ever before about keeping the kitchen counters and sink clean.  But triclosan and triclocarban is toxic to fish, which live in the sewage runoff that goes into the waterways.  Bleach, folks, diluted into spray bottles, is the way to go.  Label reading 101 again, please.


Pam said...

I dont' buy anything antibacterial, anymore. The hand sanitizer that I use is alcohol based.

leilani said...

OK, I'm really late catching up with blogs but I don't understand something: If I use something on my counters, sinks, toilet bowls-- doesn't that go into the sewage system that pumps into the treatment plant? Runoff that goes into waterways is irrigation runoff, etc. that goes into storm grates. Elucidate, please.

Wearinbeads said...

There may not be bacteria that can break down triclosan. Not my field of expertise, but from the one talk I heard about water treatment, the treatment plants essentially aerate and let natural critters digest the organic materials. Thus, excreted hormones, antibiotics and evidently triclosans do enter the waterways and act as endocrine disrupters to fish, toads and other aquatic residents.