Friday, July 24, 2009

happy birthday to meeee

Meet me after work. Dress nice he said, so I did. A silk suit. The night out turned out to be a Moody Blues concert at the Paul Masson winery, where they have a lovely venue with under 1000 seats. "Dress nice" was not quite specific enough, I said. However, it did not matter as all eyes were turned on the old grey heads in 60s or 70s gay clothes or Moody Blues shirts from previous tours. I could have done, I have saved my sun gold embroidered top, had only I known. As I said, it didn't matter.

I was deep into undergraduate science classes then and sort of missed most of the Moody Blues. Nights of White Satin is, of course, my all-time favorite slow-dance song, and so much else of the Moody Blues sounded like that it is familiar even if I didn't exactly remember it. There were the two lead singers and the original drummer, a new, really polished, great drummer, and a doo-wah girl to play the biggest flute we had ever seen and shimmy a bit. The lighting was primitive, the boys did a few steps, and the mixing needed tweaking for the different songs to balance the vocals. Did that matter? No, the crowd loved it all. It was a really, really fun concert, the weather was a perfect night for it, we had great seats and an excellent burger there at the winery bistro before the concert. A very good birthday all around. Thanks, sweetie.

2 comments:

leilani said...

Awwwwww. What a sweet old bear he is. (Well, not so old.)

John S. Walker said...

Sounds like a good time...a few years back we took our son and went to a M.B. concert in Sioux Falls they did with the South Dakota Symphony. They were every bit as good as when I first saw them back in the early 70's one time in St.L.