Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Illumination in the Flatwoods

My dear friend lent me this book Saturday, Illumination in the Flatwoods by Joe Hutto Illumination in the Flatwoods A season with the wild turkey http://www.amazon.com/Illumination-Flatwoods-Season-Wild-Turkey/product-reviews/1599211971/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1  It is the story of a naturalist who spent a summer with a flock of wild turkeys.  He lives in the flats of northern Florida, and I have spent time roaming those forests during the years my Grandmother lived in Tallahassee when I would go walking.  I have a flock of male turkeys who drink from my birdbath and often shelter in the shade under my little tree.  So when I got home and opened this book, I stayed glued to it until I finished it later that evening.  I have observed many of the behaviours Hutto describes, but his beautiful descriptions put this all in a new light.  If you are even a casual birder from your window, this is a riveting, fascinating book. 

No comments: